Shahi Paneer Recipe is one of the most popular dishes in India, known for its aromatic spices and flavorful ingredients. In India, this vegetable has been in vogue from generation to generation since the time of the Mughals.
Shahi paneer ki sabzi is mainly made for lunch or dinner. To enhance the taste, the paneer is cooked in a gravy of spicy cashews, onions, tomatoes, yogurt, and cream.
Shahi Paneer Recipe: A Delicious Creamy Indian Dish
Through the step-by-step process of making a mouth-watering Shahi paneer dish that will delight your family and friends.
So, let us learn how to make this flavorful and delicious recipe.
Ingredients required to make Shahi Paneer
- 250 grams paneer (Indian cheese), diced
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 2 medium-sized, finely chopped onions
- 2 medium-sized, pureed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup curd
- 1/4 cup fresh cream
- 2 tbsp. ghee or oil
- 1 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala
- 4 green cardamoms
- salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
If you are using store-bought paneer, you can skip this step. However, if you prefer homemade paneer, follow these simple steps:
- Heat 1.5 liters of milk in a heavy-bottom pan on medium heat.
- When the milk starts boiling, add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice or vinegar to it.
- Stir the milk gently until the milk curdles and the solids (cottage cheese) and whey separate.
- Sieve it with a cotton cloth and add curdled milk to it.
- Wash the cheese under cold water to remove any sourness from the lemon juice or vinegar.
- Gather the ends of the cloth and gently squeeze out the excess water.
- Place a heavy plate or utensil over the paneer and keep it for 30 minutes to 1 hour so that the excess moisture gets removed.
Your homemade paneer is now ready to be used in the Shahi paneer recipe.
Making Shahi Paneer Gravy
1. Heat ghee or oil in a pan on a low flame.
2. Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
3. Add a finely chopped onion and fry till it turns brown.
4. Add the garlic and ginger paste and cook for a minute, till the raw smell goes away.
5. Now add tomato puree and cook till the oil starts separating from the
6. In a blender, grind the cashews to a fine paste.
7. Add cashew powder to the pan and mix well in the onion-tomato mixture.
8. Lower the flame and add red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, green cardamom, and salt.
9. Cook the mixture for a few minutes so that the spices get mixed and their flavors are extracted.
10. Add curd and mix well. Cook for one more minute.
Finally, add fresh cream and mix until well combined. Cook the gravy for a while till it thickens.
- While the gravy is simmering, cook the paneer cubes separately to enhance their flavor.
- Heat some ghee or oil in a nonstick pan on medium heat.
- Add the paneer cubes and cook them till they turn golden brown in color from all sides.
- Take out the paneer cubes from the pan and keep them aside.
Paneer mixed with gravy
- Gently add the cooked paneer cubes to the steamed shahi paneer gravy
- While stirring the paneer pieces, keep in mind that the paneer pieces should not break.
- Coat 2 paneer cubes evenly with the creamy gravy and let them simmer for a few minutes to infuse the flavor.
Adjusting Consistency and Seasoning
If you like the shahi paneer gravy more juicy, you can add some water or milk to it.
Taste the gravy and adjust the spice as per your liking. You can add more salt, spices, or cream to enhance the flavor to your liking.
The Shahi paneer recipe is best enjoyed with freshly baked naan bread, roti (Indian flatbread), or steamed rice. The combination of creamy paneer and rich gravy is very tasty.
You can garnish it with some fresh chopped coriander leaves and chopped almonds to make it extra tasty.
Variations and Additions
1. Vegetable Shahi Paneer
You can increase the nutritional value of the dish by adding vegetables like peas, capsicum, or carrots to it. Just blanch the vegetables and add them to the gravy along with the paneer.
2. Spicy Shahi Paneer
If you like it more spicy then you can increase the amount of red chili powder or add some green chilies to the gravy.
3. Nut-Free Shahi Paneer
If you have allergies or dietary concerns, you can use blanched almonds or melon seeds instead of cashews to make it creamier without using nuts.
Feel free to use and adapt the shahi paneer recipe to suit your dietary needs and tastes.
Tips for Success
- For best results use fresh, good quality, soft, moist, and free from any sourness paneer.
- While frying the paneer, keep in mind that you use a non-stick pan so that the paneer does not break.
- To make it more palatable, you can soak cashews in hot water for 15 minutes before grinding them into powder.
- Use spices as per your choice. You can increase or decrease the quantity of red chili powder and other spices as per your taste.
Health Benefits of Shahi Paneer
1. Rich in Protein
Paneer is rich in protein, which works to build tissues and promote muscle growth.
Paneer is rich in calcium, which makes bones and teeth strong.
3. Vitamin B12
Nutritional elements of vitamin B12 are found in cheese, which plays an important role in the formation of nerve and red blood cells.
Read More:- 12 Easy Ways to Lose Weight in a Month Naturally
4. Nutritious Spices
Spices like turmeric, cumin and cardamom used in shahi paneer have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Cultural Significance of Shahi Paneer
Shahi Paneer holds a special place in Indian cuisine and culture. It is often made during festivals, weddings, and other celebrations.
Shahi Paneer is the epitome of nutty and savory taste, making it a popular dish for special occasions.
Q.1. Can I use tofu instead of paneer?
Ans. Yes, you can replace paneer with tofu (soy yogurt) for a vegetarian version of shahi paneer. But keep in mind, there might be a slight difference in taste.
Q.2 How long can I store Shahi Paneer?
Ans. Shahi paneer can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2-3 days. Reheat it before serving.
Q.3 Can I make shahi paneer without cream?
Ans. Yes, you can skip the cream or replace it with coconut milk for a dairy-free alternative if you prefer a lighter version. Note, however, that texture and flavor may vary.
Q.4 Can I make shahi paneer without onion and garlic?
Ans. Yes, you can skip these ingredients if you follow a no-onion, garlic diet. You can enhance the taste by using ginger and tomato-based gravy.
Q.5 Is shahi paneer spicy?
Ans. The spice level of shahi paneer can be adjusted as per personal preference. If you prefer a milder version, you can reduce the amount of red chili powder or omit the green chilies.
Get ready to enhance your taste buds with the royal taste of Shahi Paneer
Finally, the shahi paneer recipe is a delicious and flavorful dish that brings together the aromatic flavors of paneer and Indian spices. This mouth-watering curry is liked by both vegetarians and non-vegetarians.
By following this method, you can make Shahi Paneer in your own kitchen and impress your loved ones with a restaurant-style dish. So, why wait? Assemble the ingredients, get ready to taste Shahi Paneer, and have a memorable food-making experience.